While the on-going battle to combat stress and anxiety is a hard task for many, a number of natural stress relievers fortunately exist to lessen the symptoms of these frustrating issues. From self-help techniques, to other stress-relieving practices such as aromatherapy, knowing how to reduce stress naturally is not as hard as many would think.
Natural Ways to Relieve Stress
These natural ways to relieve stress are generally safe options to use alongside conventional medical therapies. While these may not be the end-all options, it’s still important to know what can help stress and anxiety to any extent, and these techniques can certainly alleviate many of the associated symptoms.
- Exercise – A 2015 study found that exercise may be a treatment for stress and anxiety. Along with burning off this anxious energy, exercise can also help with anxiety caused by stressful circumstances. By shifting the mind’s focus to that of a physical nature, stress symptoms can alleviate and lessen substantially.
- Meditation – Mindfulness-based meditation has become a popular trend in therapy for many. It helps slow racing thoughts, making it easier to manage stress and anxiety, and is something anyone can do anywhere with enough practice.
- Time Management – People may experience stress and anxiety when they have too many commitments at once. Whether it’s family, work, or health-related activities causing this stress, being aware of effective time management strategies can help people focus on the task at hand, and provide a plan of action in these moments of feeling overwhelmed.
- Aromatherapy – Certain soothing and essential plant oils have been found to ease stress and anxiety naturally. Studies have shown that aromatherapy does indeed have an effect on brain waves, and can improve your overall wellness to an extent.
The Science Behind Aromatherapy
When you consider ways of how to beat stress, many don’t immediately think of aromatherapy. However, the sense of smell is directly associated with emotional response triggers in the brain, and can even activate certain bodily functions such as the immune system. But how exactly does it work?
The sense of smell is controlled by the olfactory system. When odor molecules diffuse through the air and pass through the nose, they come into contact with olfactory neurons, which send chemical messages throughout your body and brain, the latter of which includes the olfactory bulb. This section of the brain is able to distinguish the chemical compositions of the odor molecules, along with the hippocampus and amygdala which are associated with emotions and memory. As a result, these smells can play an important role in lessening stress and anxiety.
Among the many essential oils used in aromatherapy, three smells that have been known to relieve symptoms of stress and anxiety include:
- Lavender – Famous for its iconic floral and herbal smell, lavender is the most popular aromatherapy oil, and has been known to enhance relaxation and increase feelings of contentment.
- Chamomile – Well-known for its relaxing and sedating properties, research has shown that chamomile can help with digestion, generalized anxiety disorder, sleep and depression.
- Rosemary – Associated with feelings of contentment, rosemary has been shown to have positive effects on performance and mood, and can reduce cortisol levels, making it a great choice for de-stressing during the day.
Do Oil Diffusers Really Relieve Stress?
The short answer? Yes. In fact, oil diffusers are a fantastic way to feel the benefits of essential oils in a reliable way that offers consistent and uniform aroma saturation. By using oil diffusers, these aromas won’t lose their natural therapeutic properties and will bring amazing scents into your home or office in an effective and uniform way.
The Magic Scent
Considered one of the pioneers of scent marketing, the Magic Scent has been creating authentic oil diffusers and natural aromatherapeutic scents to naturally relieve stress and anxiety. Using only the highest quality of ingredients and materials, the technology used in our oils is a proven way to provide mood-boosting properties and many health benefits. Learn more about our signature scents to find your perfect match, or contact us for any questions or comments.